Anand Kumar Sharma
Chairperson - Accounting & Finance Area
Phone : +91-124-4560339
Ph. D from University of Bombay (1992)¸ Jamnalal Bajaj institute of Management Studies
M Com from Delhi School of Economics (1975)
LLB from University of Delhi (1978)
Visiting Scholar, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, USA (April- May 2008)
Dr. Anand K Sharma was the Chair Professor¸ Railway Finance at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (February 2007 to February 2010). He earned his Ph.D. in Finance from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies¸ University of Bombay. Before that he completed his Masters from Delhi School of Economics (academic scholarship recipient) and LL.B from University of Delhi.
He has been a trainer for the last thirty years. A large section of the country’s civil services including members of the IAS, IPS, and Finance & Accounts services of central and the state governments have benefited from his deliberations.
His areas of research interest include infrastructure finance, public procurement, public private partnership and public policy. He shares his perspectives with management students of IIM Bangalore through the elective Managing Public Private Partnership. Arguably the first course of its kind to be offered in any leading B-schools of the country¸ this elective draws heavily from Dr. Sharma’s insights honed through his years of interfacing with the academia¸ industry and the government¸ Collaboratory of Research in Global Projects, as also his stint at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, California. Recently Dr Sharma has joined as Professor Finance at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon in March 2010.
Dr. Sharma brings in a wealth of knowledge due to his administrative and academic experiences and has been a trainer par excellence for over 30 years now. He started his teaching career at Shree Ram College of Commerce¸ Delhi University. Thereafter he served as faculty of finance at a number of institutions of repute such as the Railway Staff College¸ M. S. Patel Institute of Management Studies¸ M.S. University¸ National Institute of Financial Management (Ministry of Finance) among others. Dr. Sharma has also been the Editor of the professional journal of Railway Staff College.
Dr. Sharma has been receiving and sharing global perspectives through out his career. He received his training at Manchester Business School¸ U.K. Under the mentorship of Professor Westwood¸ he transferred training modules in the area of Financial Management on Capital Investment Appraisal and Asset Management from MBS to Railway Staff College.
He has led about 80 Management Development Programs and Workshops for participants across nations. Many of these were conducted in association and consultation with the World Bank.
International Consulting Experience and Conferences
• Chaired a session on Financial Fast Forward of PPPs in CII organized summit on Sustainable PPPs in Infrastructure held at Chennai on August 6-7¸ 2009.
• Chaired a session on Equitable Growth & Human Development: Emerging Areas in International Conference on Public Policy and Management- Managing Globally Economic Challenges and Challenges to National and International Governance held at IIM B August 9-12¸2009
• Presentation made on Private Participation in Railways : International Perspective in the International Conference on Public Private Partnership and Urban Governance held at IIMB August 3-6¸ 2008
• Presentation made in International Conference on Railway Vision 2030 held at New Delhi Feb 29¸ March 1¸ 2008 organized by Indian National Academy of Engineers
• Presented the paper “Sustainability of Indian Railways turn around: A stage theory perspective” in International Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship¸ University of Chankaya¸ Ankara¸ Turkey in November 2007
• Coordinated and led a team of consultants on project funded by the Danish Development Agency for the Royal Institute of Management (Bhutan) for designing and delivering courses in management and on World Bank Procurement Procedures¸ 2006-07
• Consultant for a World Bank-funded consultancy assignment for the National Procurement Training Centre¸ Kyrgyz Republic¸ Central Asia¸ 2006
• Invited by Royal Government of Bhutan to conduct a two week’s training programme on ‘Standard Rules and Procedures of World Bank for Procurement of Goods¸ Works and Services’¸ 2004
• Conceptualized and coordinated the first seminar on BOLT( Build¸ Own¸ Lease and Transfer) promoted by the Railway Board¸ Ministry of Railways
• Conducted one day Seminar on “World Bank Procurement Guidelines- Recent Changes” at India Habitat Centre¸ New Delhi¸2004
• Attended India Economic Summit organized by the World Economic Forum, New Delhi - 2004
• Attended workshop on “Writing and Teaching Public Policy Cases” conducted by Prof. Straussman¸ Syracuse University¸ New York¸USA¸2002
• Coordinator of the International Conference of UIC (International Union of Railways) which was attended by delegates from 50 countries and 5 international organizations, 1997
• Attended Senior Management Programme (six weeks) at Manchester Business School, United Kingdom, 1995.
Research & Publications
• Collaborative research with Stanford University: An Approach to Customer-Based¸ Cost-Effective Service Enhancement: An Application to the Indian Railways Train Service between Chennai and Bangalore V. “Seenu” Srinivasan¸ Adams Distinguished Professor of Management¸ Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, USA, G. Shainesh, Associate Professor of Marketing, IIMB, and Anand K. Sharma Professor and Chair Railway Finance, IIMB. Presentations were done at International Conference at Chennai on December 17, 2009 and in Seminar at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore on January1, 2010.
• Anand K Sharma¸ T V Ramanayya & Deepak K Sinha :The study approved by Ministry of Railways on Total Factor Productivity Growth in Indian Railways – case of Rail Wheel Factory¸ Bangalore. Report sent to Ministry of Railways on January 6, 2010.
• Anand K Sharma & Ravi Anshuman V Government of India (Ministry of Railways) assigned study on Review of Financial Appraisal of Railway Projects. Report sent to Ministry of Railways in February 2010.
• Sharma¸ Anand K¸ “Art and science of managing PPPs” -Guest Editor`s Note¸ Management Next¸ Vol 6 issue 1¸ PPP special number¸ August 2009
• Sharma Anand K and V Ranganathan published in Business Standard¸ titled `Getting Railways to Rule the Road` Februay8¸ 2009
• Sharma Anand K¸ ”Modernization of Railway Stations in India”: A Case for Public Private Partnership with special reference to New Delhi Railway Station¸ South Asia Journal of Management¸ Vol 16¸ Issue 1¸ January- March2009
• Co-authored an article in collaboration with Prof. V. Ranganathan published in the editorial page of The Economic times titled ‘IR Finances: Milking the Hybrid Cow’ on May 31¸ 2007
• IIMB Working Paper No. 266 in Indian Institute of Management Publication Series¸ January 2008 on Indian Railways Sustainability
• Sharma¸ Anand K and Manimala¸ Mathew¸ “Sustainability of Indian Railways turnaround: A stage theory perspective”¸ South Asian Journal of Management¸ Vol 14¸ Issue No. 4¸ Oct- December 2007
• Anand K Sharma, 'Appraisal of Public Sector Projects in India'¸ Realities of Project Management in Developing Countries, University of Bradford, United Kingdom 1996
• Doctoral thesis on "Capital Investment Decisions in Public Sector Companies in India", Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, University of Mumbai, 1992
• Critically analyzed the investment decisions of 25 top selected Public sector companies such as Steel Authority of India(SAIL), Air India, Indian Oil Corporation(IOC), Hindustan Petroleum comprising of 50% of the turnover of the entire Public Sector of India.
Awards & Honors:
• Visiting Scholar at Graduate School of Business (GSB)¸ Stanford University¸ California¸ April – May 2008
• Member¸ National Committee on Infrastructure Finance¸ Confederation of Industries (CII) 2007-08
• Professor¸ Finance & Accounts¸ National Institute of Financial Management (Ministry of Finance)¸ 2002-2006
• Financial Advisor & Chief Accounts Officer¸ for the Centre of Modernization of Workshop(COFMOW)¸ New Delhi (2001-02)
• Director / Executive Director¸ Railway Board (Ministry of Railways)¸ Government of India (1997-2001)
• Member¸ Board of Governors¸ National Institute of Financial Management Society nominated by the Hon’ble Union Minister of Finance¸ Government of India 2005-06
• Member Secretary¸ Task Force (constituted by the Cabinet Secretary¸ Government of India) on Revision of Norms for the Procurement of Goods and Services by Government.
• Member¸ Task Force on the Project Management System Improvement on Indian Railways under the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). As a part of this assignment¸ visited a number of high-profile international projects including North-South Express Highway¸ Malaysia¸ Channel Tunnel Rail U.K.¸ Third Airport Line Hong Kong¸ Amtrak Rail Project Philadelphia¸ U.S.A.¸ Newark International Airport U.S.A among others.
• Chairman of several Expert Committees¸ constituted by National Accreditation Board of All India Council of Technical Education for accreditation of Business Schools.
• Examiner and Evaluator of Ph.D. Thesis
• Management of Technological Change in Indian Railways during 1947-97 – A study of critical organizational and Strategic Decision Making Processes”¸ Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS)¸ Pilani
• Management and Finance of Infrastructure Development of Selected Sector”¸ M.S. University¸ Vadodara
• Editor of the Professional Journal of Railway Staff College, Abhivyakti
• Professor (Finance and Investment), Railway Staff College (1992-97)
• Deputy Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer/Construction, Western Railways (1988-92)
• CEO¸ The Jackson Co-operative Credit Society Limited of Western Railway(1986-87)
• Member, Indian Railways Accounts service since 1981¸ Western Railways (1982-85)
• Lecturer, Shree Ram College of Commerce, Delhi (1975-81)
Management Development Programmes
Programs for international and national participants on wide ranging themes such as Project development and Financing¸ Tenders contracts and Arbitration¸ Public Procurement¸ Financial management for World Bank funded projects¸ World Bank procurement procedures etc. have been structured and delivered to groups of trainees from more than 20 countries from Asia¸ Europe and South America. Domestic participants belong to top class divisions like IAS, finance and accounts services of central governments, state governments and public sector undertakings.
Recently a Planning Commission sponsored training Program on Public Private Partnership was conducted at Indian Institute of Management¸ Bangalore from June 29 to July 3¸ 2009. This was attended by 40 senior civil servants from all parts of the country.
- Director / Executive Director, Railway Board (Ministry of Railways), Government of India (1997-2001)
- Deputy Financial Adviser & Chief Accounts Officer¸ responsible for administrative functions of Project Finance & Accounts Department of Western Railways with headquarters at Mumbai and regional offices spread over western India 1988-1992
- CEO of Jackson Cooperative Credit Society Ltd having two Lakh members with headquarters at Mumbai and regional offices spread over Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat 1984-86
- Member of Civil Services¸ Indian Railway Accounts Service¸ September 1981 to March 2010