Associate Professor, Information Management
Phone : +91-124-4560106
Associate Professor of Information Management at the Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon, India. Ph.D. from Delhi University in the area of information systems planning with 20 years’ experience in teaching, training, research and consulting related to strategic management of information technology, innovation, e-Governance, and cyber security. Have been a consultant on several Government of India projects and assignments related to strategic planning, policy making, monitoring and impact assessment on e-Governance and cyber security. Participated as a speaker on various forums, and regularly conducting workshops and holding training programmes in these areas at MDI. She has been a Fellow, Chevening Rolls Royce Science, Innovation, Policy & Leadership Programme, Said Business School, University of Oxford, UK in 2013. Authored five books and has published several research papers in peer-reviewed journals.
Post-graduate Diploma in Cyber Law & Cyber Forensics (PGDCLCF)-in progress
National Law School of India University, Bangalore
Chevening Rolls Royce Science, Innovation and Policy Leadership Programme
SAID Business School, University of Oxford, UK
Ph.D (Information Systems)
University of Delhi, India
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (IT and Marketing) (PGDM)-Full Time
Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science)
M.I.T College, Aurangabad
All India Senior Secondary Examination
Motilal Nehru School of Sports, Rai (Sonepat)
A) MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE, GURGAON
Duration:July 2006 to Till Date
Nature of Responsibility: Research, Consulting, Training, Teaching in the area of Information systems, e-Governance and Cyber Security.
B) IDC INDIA LIMITED (www.idcindia.com)
IDC is the world's leading provider of technology intelligence, industry analysis and market data to builders, providers and users of IT. It is a comprehensive resource on worldwide IT markets and trends.
Designation:Sr. Manager (IT Strategy)
Duration:Apr 2004 to July 2006
Nature of Responsibility:
- Conceptualized the CIO advisory services from scratch as a separate revenue model.
- Carried out research projects which included both the Quantitative and Qualitative aspects in the above Research and Consulting Projects.
- Prepare and supervise deliverables in the form of research reports and PowerPoint presentations.
- Training research analysts on research methodology.
- Making proposals for undertaking research projects and seeking mandate as part of busi
- At IDC, associated with Government and Public sector as a vertical and carried out the e-Readiness study across all states and UT’s.
- ness development.
- Leading a Team of Research analysts, responsible for business development and Top line growth of the Company.
C) HIMACHAL FUTURISTIC COMMUNICATION LIMITED (HFCL), Gurgaon
Himachal Futuristic Communications Ltd. Is an indigenous telecom equipment manufacturer in India. It is also providing broadband services in some parts of India.
Designation: Project Manager
Duration: May 2002 to April 2004
The responsibilities included:
- Market study & identification of new products for Research and Development.
- Multiple Project Management, viz. Planning, Preparation of activity schedules, Contract negotiation & Vendor development;
- MIS & Auditing which includes audit planning, execution, compliance of corrective & preventive action etc.
- Leading a team of Engineers on Broadband access devices xDSL, DSLAM, BBRAS etc.
D) DEFENCE-INDIAN AIR FORCE
Designation Held: Flight Lieutenant (Class-I Gazetted Officer)
Duration: June 1994 to June 2000.
Nature of Responsibility
Spent six years in Indian Air Force from June 1994 to June 2000 as a Class-I Gazetted Officer in Aeronautical Engineering, AE(L) stream. This primarily included two postings at Jamnagar and Arjangarh apart from a one year training in Bangalore. The responsibilities are described below briefly:
Commanding Officer of a Communication Unit at Air Force Station, Jamnagar
- Overall responsibility for the unit. Looking after the administrative, technical, disciplinary and policy issues. Dealing in Man-management issues pertaining to the work force at the Unit.
- Leading a team of skilled technicians in fault diagnosis and repairs of Microwave communication equipmen
- Responsibility for the Unit Logistics.
E) DESIGN CONSULTING ENGINEERS, New Delhi
Designation Held: Software Engineer
Duration: Sept 1992 to June 1994.
Nature of Responsibilities: Design Consulting developed and configured software systems for State Electricity Boards and other power utility companies in India. Associated briefly with UPSEB software implementation project.
Awards and Recognitions
Chevening Scholarship by UK Government in 2013
Special Courses Undergone:
- Certified for Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology (COBIT) 5.0 Foundation from APMG International in Feb 2016
- Certified as ISO 31000 Risk Assessment in Dec 2015 from British Standards Institute.
- Certified as ISO 27001 Lead Implementer on Information security in Dec 2010 from MIEL e-Security Pvt. Limited.
- Certified IRCA ISO 27001 Lead Auditor on Information Security in June 2010 from British Standards Institute.
- MS Project 2000 and & Project Central with Centre for Excellence in Project Management. (CEPM) in Sept 2002.
International Co-ordination Meetings Attended / Represented
02-08 October 2010: Visit to National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA and other Federal agencies on behalf of Government of India: To study the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) of USA and suggest an appropriate framework for applying it with Government of India
30 Jan-02 Feb 2012: Visit to National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA on behalf of Government of India: For validation of the National Information Security Assurance Framework (NISAF) made under the project for applying it with Government of India.
17-19 Aug 2015: Visit to National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), USA on behalf of Government of India: Project discussions with the Cyber Security Assurance Framework (CSAF) and Federal Information Security Act (FISMA) Team, NIST, US.
Head-IT at MDI since March 2012 to November 2015
- Member, Steering Group, for the project “Creation of Cyber Security Cell in e-Governance” with Department of Electronics and IT, Ministry of Communication and IT.
- Member, Jury for Web Ratna Awards, 2015 and 2016 with Ministry of Communication and IT, Department of Electronics and IT, Government of India.
- Have been conducting a Workshop on E-Governance: Issues and Challenges at Management Development Institute.
- Member of the Jury for the MANTHAN Awards for evaluation of e-governance initiatives
- Member of steering committee NASSCOM (Data Security Council of India).
- Governing Body Member-Marathwada Institute of Technology, Bulandshahr
- Membership Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of ICT and Human Development (IJICTHD)-IGI-GLOBAL.
Research and Consulting in e-Governance/ Cyber Security
Member, Steering Group, for the project “Creation of Cyber Security Cell in e-Governance” with Department of Electronics and IT, Ministry of Communication and IT, Government of India
Member, Jury for Web Ratna Awards, 2015 and 2016 with Ministry of Communication and IT, Department of Electronics and IT, Government of India.
Programme Director, Workshop on E-Governance: Issues and Challenges at Management Development Institute.
Member of the Jury for the MANTHAN Awards for evaluation of e-governance initiatives
Member of steering committee NASSCOM (Data Security Council of India).
Governing Body Member-Marathwada Institute of Technology, Bulandshahr, India
Governing Body Member-CRISP Social Ventures India (CSVI), a British High Commission and University of Oxford initiative.
Membership Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of ICT and Human Development (IJICTHD)-IGI-GLOBAL.
Head-IT at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India since March 2012
Research and Publications
- Kaushik, A. 2014. Driving Process Change: Innovative e-Government Practices from India, Macmillan Publications.
- Kaushik, A. 2013. Sailing Safe in Cyberspace: Protect Your Identity and Data, SAGE Publications.
- Kumar, L. and Kaushik, A. 2012. Fresh Fingerprints: Cases of Innovations in Public Service Delivery, McGraw Hill.
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M. 2010. Planning for Inter-organizational Systems. New Delhi: AK Publications.
- Jaiswal, M.P. and Kaushik, A. 2002. e-CRM: Business and System Frontiers. New Delhi: Asian Books Private Limited.
Cutter Articles/ Newspaper Articles
Articles Published in Peer-Reviewed Journals:
- Chauhan, S. and Kaushik, A. (2016), Evaluating Citizen Acceptance of Unique Identification Number in India: An Empirical Study, Electronic Government, an International Journal, 12
- Kaushik, A. and Raman, A. (2015), The New data-driven Enterprise Architecture for e-Healthcare: Lessons from the Indian Public Sector, Government Information Quarterly, 32, 1, 63-74.
- Kaushik, A. (2014), Mobile Security from a Practical Perspective, Cutter IT Journal, December 2014, 27, 12, pp. 20-22.Kaushik, A. (2014), Crafting a Secure and Effective BYOD Policy, Cutter IT Journal, August 2014, 27, 8, pp. 12-16.
- Kaushik, A. (2011), ICT Possibilities in Management of Public Resources: Cases from India, VISION: The journal of Business Perspective, 15,4, 361-367
- Kaushik, A. (2009), Inter-Organizational Systems in a Consumer Packaged Goods Network, VISION: The journal of Business Perspective, 13, 1, 79-101.
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M. (2009), Networking strategy and information system planning practices for e-business, International Journal of Management and Network Economics (IJMNE).
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M. (2009), Perception of IS managers on problems in inter-organizational system planning, International Journal of Business and Systems Research (IJBSR).
- Kaushik, A. (2008), Strategic Leadership through IT, Cutter IT Journal, November 2008, 21, 11, pp. 6-10
- Kaushik, A. (2008), Look before you Leap, Issues and Challenges in Managing a Virtual World Presence, Cutter IT Journal, 21, 9, pp. 32-37.
- Jaiswal, M.P. and Kaushik, A. (2005), Realizing Enhanced Business Value due to Business Network Re-design through Extended ERP Systems: Case study of HLLNet, Business Process Management Journal (Emerald).
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M (2005), Efficacy of Existing IS Planning Models from E-Business, Alliance Journal of Business Research, Volume 1, Number 1, pp. 55-61.
- Kaushik, A. (2001), ERP Systems Extended to B2B Enterprise, VISION: The journal of Business Perspective, 5, Special Issue, 2001.
Papers in Refereed Conference
- Ray, A. and Kaushik, A. (2015), State Transgression on Electronic Expression: Is it for Real?, Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS, 2015), 13-15 August, 2015, Puerto Rico.
- Kaushik, A. (2014), Enterprise Architecture and e-Health: Lessons from the Indian Public Sector, International Symposium of Information Systems (ISIS, 2014), 3-4 Jan, 2014, Manvar, Rajasthan.
- Kaushik, A. (2012), e-governance and Freedom of Information Act -the Indian Experience, 12th European Conference on eGovernment (ECEG 2012), 14-15 June 2012, Barcelona, Spain ( ISSN 2049-1026).
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, L. (2009), Use of Development Objectives in Evaluation of E-governance Initiatives, 5th International Conference on e-Government (ICEG 2009), 19-20 October, Suffolk University, Boston, USA (ISBN: 978-1-906638-50-4).
- Kaushik, A. (2009), Leveraging ERP in the Inter-organizational Domain: Case of Oil Marketing Companies in India, International Conference on Service Management (ICSM 2009), May 21-24, 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Kaushik, A. and Mithas, S. (2008), The Role of Quality and HR Management Practices in Outsourcing Value Creation: A Study of India BP, INFORMS Annual Conference, October 12-15, 2008, Washington DC.
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M (2008), Conventional Models and Information System Planning for Business Network, International Business Information Management Conference (9th IBIMA), 4-6 January, 2008 in Marrakech, Morocco (ISBN: 0-9753393-8-9).
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M (2008), An Empirical Assessment of Information System Planning Practices in India, International Business Information Management Conference (9th IBIMA) 4-6 January, 2008 in Marrakech, Morocco, Virtual Presentation. Included in the conference proceedings (ISBN: 0-9753393-8-9) as a full paper.
- Kaushik, A. (2008), Business Network Re-Design For Collaborative Inventory Planning: Case Study of MUL, International Conference on Issues and Challenges in Supply Chain Management, 28-30 March, 2008, ITBHU, Varanasi.
- Kaushik, A. and Kumar, M (2007), Networking Strategies and Information System Planning Practices, 8th International We-B Conference, November 28-30, 2007, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- Kaushik, A and Kumar, M (2007) Case Study of Godrej Consumer Products Limited, Conference on “Bridging Digital Divide 2007” (ICBDD 2007), January 4-6, 2007, Management Development Institute, Gurgaon (New Delhi), India
Consultant, National e-Governance Awards 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13 by Department of Information Technology and Department of Administrative Reforms, India.
Consultant, ‘Vision 2020’ for Central Bureau of Direct Taxes, Income Tax Department, Government of India
Consultant, Impact Assessment of e-Governance Projects as a Knowledge Partner to Department of Information Technology (DIT), Government of India.
Chief Investigator, Information Security Assurance Framework for e-governance projects of Government of India (2013-2016) with Ministry of Communication and IT (MoCIT) and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), US.
Chief Investigator, Project to study Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) by NIST, US and suggest an appropriate information security assurance framework for applying it with Government of India (2010-2012) with Ministry of Communication and IT (MoCIT) and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), US.