Rajesh K Pillania
Associate Professor, Strategic Management
Phone : +91-124-4560397
Dr. Rajesh K. Pillania is a prolific researcher and writer on strategy with more than 75 papers in international/national peer reviewed journals and conferences; two books on strategy in India; one innovative book on strategic humour and guest edited special issues of international journals of repute. In a recent study he was ranked jointly number one in average research productivity among management faculty from top institutes including IIMs/IITs/ISB in India for research output from 1968 to 2014. His work is quoted and used by researchers and practitioners in various countries. His articles / views appear in newspapers / magzines in Europe¸ US and Asia. He is on advisory board of more than 100 international research journals¸ professional bodies and conferences consisting of leading international academicians¸ industry leaders and policy makers. Select journals include Journal of Service Management¸ Journal of Management Development¸ Multinational Business Review¸ Knowledge and Process Management¸ and Knowledge Management Research & Practice etc. He is a sought after guest editor for special issues by number of international journals (Management Decision¸ Multinational Business Review¸ Journal of Management Development¸ Technology Forecasting and Social Change etc). Recently he has guest edited special issues on Strategy in India; Innovations in Emerging Markets¸ Innovations in India, Strategy in Emerging Markets¸ Multinationals & Emerging Markets¸ and Business Research in India.
Rajesh has offered consultancy and conducted training for various corporations (SPMCIL, CSIR etc) and government departments (Department of Science & Technology, Tourism Ministry etc). His work is used by practitioners' and quoted by researchers in various countries. His articles / views appear in newspapers / magzines in Europe, US and Asia. He is a sought after guest editor for special issues by number of international journals of repute. He has been invited by international conferences (ISMOT, MSKE), professional forums (IASK, Global Forum etc), industry associations (FICCI,CII etc), research centers (IPM, Beijing ; Chinese Academy of Sciences etc) and universities (UNU, Tsinghua etc) as an expert speaker. He has acted as a mentor / supervisor for doctoral students in many universities.
He has worked in the North America, South America, Europe and Asia and his academic and research experience includes University Business School, Panjab University (Chandigarh, India); Management Development Institute (Gurgaon, India); R. H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland (Maryland, USA); Harvard University (Boston, USA); and MCI Management Centre (Innsbruck, Austria) among others. He holds a PhD (Corporate Strategy) and MBA. He is MIT Sloan industry studies affiliate, a member of Academy of Management and Strategic Management Society, USA. His areas of interest and expertise are strategy, global strategy, emerging markets strategy, strategy in India, innovations, business models and strategic humor.
Awards and Honours (Select)
• Asia Fellow, Harvard University, Boston, USA.
• He is pioneer in explaining strategy using humour by his first of its kind book ‘Strategic Humour: Democratising Strategy’. It is highly appreciated by CEOs and CEOs find it hilarious, incisive, applicable and a must read. Through his concept of strategic humour he is able to bring disruptive innovation in the concept of strategy and democratise strategy. For details see www.strategichumour.org
• Awarded Education Excellence Award for Best Professor in Strategy in India by ASSOCHAM and Education Post.
• Ranked # 1 jointly on average research productivity among management faculty from IIMs/IITs/ISB in India for research output from 1968 to 2014.
• Ranked globally # 3 for number of research publications on India in area of business management for 1960-2010 in ISI Web of Science databases (the global leading impact factor based journal database) by a research study in an international journal of repute.
• On advisory board of more than 100 international research journals¸ professional bodies and conferences consisting of leading international academicians¸ industry leaders and policy makers.
• Visiting Fellowship, R. H. Smith School of Business¸ University of Maryland (Maryland¸ USA).
• MDI Best Research Professor number of times.
He is an award winning teacher and recognised as best faculty for strategy in India by ASSOCHAM and Education Post. His teaching interests are in humour in strategy i.e. strategic humour, demystifying strategy, global strategy¸ innovation strategy, strategy in India, strategy in emerging markets, MNC Management, business models.
Among strategy faculty in top management institutes in India, Dr. Pillania has one of the highest impact factor (an objective international criteria) and his research work is often cited internationally and in India. He has been invited to guest edit special issues from many international journals, including some of the top journals with high impact factor. He has been awarded many times for his research work. His research interests are in humour in strategy i.e. strategic humour, demystifying strategy, global strategy¸ innovation strategy, strategy in India, strategy in emerging markets, MNC Management, business models, family business in India.
He is pioneer in bringing the concept of strategic humour i. e. humour in strategy in a unique way to disrupt strategy and democratise strategy. Besides strategic humour, his other areas of expertise and interest are strategy in India, emerging markets strategy, global strategy, innovation strategy, business models, strategic CSR, family business in India and MNC management.