Shiv S Tripathi
Assistant Professor, Strategic Management
Coordinator - Placements Executive Graduate Programmes
Phone : +91-124-4560578
Prof. Tripathi is a PhD from Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur. He has over 13 years of corporate and academic experience in organisations like Exide, ICFAI and Century Plyboards. He has presented several papers at the Indian School of Business, IIMs and IITs and conducted MDPs, workshops and seminars on strategic innovation, managing growth and new business plans and several market research assignments helping the industry. Some of the organisations for whom he has undertaken any research assignment, conducted MDPs or provided consultancy include ICSI, National Academy of Indian Railways, BEL, IOCL, BSF, CRPF, Exide, Ministry of Defence, Sri Aurobindo Institute of Culture, CESC, HCL, IETE, CMRI Multi-specialty hospital, BM Birla Heart research institute etc. His research interests include open innovation, innovation strategy, growth strategies and sustainability. He is a member of Strategic Management Society, USA; International Society of Professional Innovation Management, UK and Academy of Management, USA.
International Business Strategy
Mergers and Acquisitions
1. Brahma, M. & Tripathi, S. S. (Under Review). Internal Corporate Ventures that Perform: What can organisations and teams do?
2. Tripathi, S. S. (2016). Open Innovation in Indian Organisations: Level of Collaboration. Technology Innovation Management Review, 6(5): 15-23. Published by Carleton University, Canada, Indexed in ESCI of Thomson Reuters.
3. Saurabh, P. & Tripathi, S. S. (2016). Support for New Product Development: Case Study of an Innovative Product ‘Tarang Pariwartak’. Journal of Management & Entrepreneurship, Vol.10, No.1, pp 41-58.
4. Tripathi, S. S. (2014). The Role of Managers as Agents in Successful Service Innovations. Technology Innovation Management Review, 4(8): 18–26. Published by Carleton University, Canada. Indexed in ESCI of Thomson Reuters.
5. Tripathi, S. S. (2014). Case analysis of “Transforming a state owned utility: The role of technology and leadership” by Meeta Dasgupta, A Sahay and R K Gupta. Vikalpa, 39(3): 129-131.
6. Tripathi, S. S. (2014). Innovations in Indian Information Technology industry: A Case Study. Udaan: The International Journal of Management Research, Vol.2, No.2, pp.3-11.
7. Tripathi, S. S., Guin, K. K. & De, S.K. (2013). A Framework of Innovation for Large Organisations in India: A Grounded Theory Approach. AFBE Journal, Issue 12, Vol.6, No.1, pp.1-19. Published by: Asian Forum on Business Education, Bangkok. Indexed in Cabell’s directory.
8. Tripathi, S. S., Guin, K.K. & De, S.K. (2013). Product & Service Innovations in Large Organisations Operating in India: A Systems Approach. IUP Journal of Business Strategy. Vol.10, Issue 3, pp.32-52. Indexed in EBSCO, ProQuest and Cabell’s directory.
9. Tripathi, S S, Guin K. K & De S. K. (2012). Critical Success factors for marketing a new product: An empirical investigation. Vidwat: The Indian Journal of Management, Vol. 5, Issue 2, pp.3-15, Indexed in EBSCO.
1. Sengupta, P and Tripathi, S. S. (Under Review). ISW Guns: Where to go?
2. Pandit, R, Sharma, K and Tripathi, S. S. (Under Review). Air France: The Load Factor Puzzle in Business Class.
3. Tripathi, S. S. & Mathew, B. (Forthcoming). Providing safe drinking water to Ude Karan, in the United Nation’s PRME Collection.
4. Selvaraj, A. & Tripathi, S. S. (2015). Global Aspirations of Micromax in Management 3.0: A Case Study Approach by Kunal Gaurav, Jitender Govindani, Ritu Zarar (Eds.), ICBM School of Business Excellence, Hyderabad (ISBN: 978-81924315-1-2)
5. Tripathi, S S, (2012). Tata Acquires Corus: A Case Study. Munich, GRIN Publishing GmbH. pp. 1-19. (ISBN Book: 978-3-656-26510-8, ISBN ebook: 978-3-656-26411-8). Available at amazon.in
1. Tripathi, S S & De, S. K., (2008). Innovation as a tool of building competitive advantage at the bottom of the pyramid in Bottom of the Pyramid market in India: Insights & Experiences by Sisodiya, Amit Singh and Rao, Janardhan N (Eds.), ICFAI University Press. (ISBN-13: 978-81-3141-540-5).
2. Gaurav, K & Tripathi, S S (2008). IT revolution and changing face of rural India, in Indian Rural Economy by Sohani, A K & Balakrishna, A V (Eds.), ICFAI University Press. (ISBN-13: 978-81-314-1587-0)
3. Sengupta, A & Tripathi, S S (2007) “Marketing Strategies for SSIs that can be consequential for the rural consumers in immediate hinterland to cities”, in Entrepreneurship: Issues and Challenges, Jyoti, P.,(Ed.), Allied Publishers, New Delhi, pp. 14-33. (ISBN-13: 978-81-8124-202-6).
Peer Reviewed Conferences
1. Tripathi, S. S. (2016). Failure of Service Innovations: Reasons and Remedies, presented at BMU International Innovation Conference, Delhi NCR, January 9-10.
2. Tripathi, S. S. (2016). Diversity & Openness of Indian Boards: Does Internationalisation Matter?, presented at 9th ISDSI International Conference, Goa Institute of Management, Goa, January, 2-4.
3. Tripathi, S. S. (2015). Open Service Innovation in Information Technology Services Industry, in the proceedings of XXVI ISPIM Innovation Conference, Budapest, June 14-17, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland. (ISBN: 978-952265-778-7). Also chaired a session on Open Innovation at the conference.
4. Brahma, M. & Tripathi, S. S. (2015). New Venture Team (NVT) composition, processes, and their impact on team performance: A Conceptual model for software firms, in proceedings of Global Conference on Managing in Recovering Markets, at Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, March 11-13.
5. Saurabh, P. & Tripathi, S. S. (2015). Product innovation and commercialization at a higher education institution in India: A Case Study. ICIER-IIMB International Conference on Entrepreneurship education and training: Design, Delivery and Effectiveness, at IIM Bangalore, January 29-31.
6. Tripathi, S. S. (2013). Product and service innovations in Indian MNCs: Insights & experiences. Presented at India Special Conference organized by Strategic Management Society at Indian School of Business, Mohali, December 17-19. Also selected as a participant in the Junior Faculty Consortium amongst 16 faculty members from North America, Europe and Asia held on 19th December 2013, during the conference.
7. Tripathi, S S (2013). Directed innovation in an emerging market: Is it sustainable?, in the proceedings of 2013 International Conference of Asian Forum on Business Education, Bangkok at Calcutta Business School, Kolkata, December 16-17.
8. Tripathi, S S, Guin, K. K. & De, S. K. (2013). A Framework of Innovation for Organizations: A Grounded Theory Approach, in the ISBN proceedings of 10th AIMS International Conference on Management at IIM Bangalore, January 6-9.
9. Tripathi, S S, Guin, K. K; De, S. K. (2012). Developing a framework of innovation for large organisations: A Grounded Theory Approach, in the proceedings of International Marketing Conference at IIM Calcutta, December 28-30.
1. Tripathi, S. S. (2014). Ambidexterity in a VUCA World. IMI Konnect, 3(6): 4-5.
2. Tripathi, S S (2013). Book Review of “Reverse Innovation” by Vijay Govindarajan & Chris Trimble in Udaan: The international journal of management research, Vol. 1, issue 1, 4p.
Membership of Professional Organisations
1. Strategic Management Society (SMS) – Member since 2012.
2. Academy of Management (AOM) – Member since 2013.
3. International Society for Professional Innovation Management (ISPIM) – Member since 2014.
Some of the organisations for whom Dr. Tripathi has conducted on-campus/in-company training programs or acted a a resource person, or completed market research assigments include:
Bharat Electronics Limited
BM Birla Heart Research Centre
Border Security Force
Calcutta Electricity Supply Corporation (CESC)
Calcutta Medical Research Institute
Central Reserve Police Force
Directorate General Resettlement, Ministry of Defence
Exide Industries Limited
Hindustan Copper Limited
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)
Institution of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
Life Insurance Corporation of India
National Academy of Indian Railways
Sri Aurobindo Institute of Culture
Dr. Tripathi has undertaken consultancy assignments for various organisations in the past including BSE, NSE listed organisations. Some of his completed assignments include:
• Perception mapping for a major Super-specialty and Multi-specialty hospital in Kolkata.
• Market research project titled “A Study of the Perceptions and Attitudes of people about a Retirement Village”.
• Competitive Intelligence project titled “A Survey of Invertor, Battery Market in India”.
• Project titled “Steel Market analysis of Sub-Saharan African countries”.